Many corporations hold a “Birthday Bag Blitz” as a volunteer event, team building activity, celebration or part of another event or meeting. It can be a one-time event or held periodically. The blitz is an opportunity for employees to have a hands-on volunteer experience by filling birthday gift bags with toys which are distributed to shelters and food shelves so that less fortunate parents can recognize their child’s special day.
The blitz is held at your location in a conference room, cafeteria, atrium, warehouse, etc. The group can be any size from 5 to 150 people involved. Sometimes a blitz is done in shifts. Someone from Cheerful Givers will assist you in the planning, order all of the items needed to fill the birthday bags based on your budget, and if more than 100 birthday bags are being filled (in the Twin Cities area), will attend the function and arrange for all bags to be picked up from your site.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Identify the purpose of your event (volunteer activity, team building, celebration, etc.)
- Determine the size of your group – how many people do you expect to participate?
- Establish a budget – Plan to spend $10 for each birthday bag which will include ten toys, a gift bag, and ribbon. As a guideline, a group of 25 people will easily fill 500 bags in less than an hour.
- Choose a date and time. Allow at least two weeks prior to your event to announce it to employees and to make arrangements. Most Birthday Bag Blitzes are scheduled for one hour. More or less time will work depending on the number of people involved.
- Reserve a room or determine the location. Generally the larger the room the better.
- Contact Cheerful Givers – call 612-562-4499 or email email@example.com to discuss your plans. For new or large groups, a Cheerful Givers representative will plan to attend your event to help with set up and to give a brief orientation to the group about the organization and plans for the day. We can also provide ice breaker activities and/or suggestions for enhancing your event.
The Day of the Event – A Birthday Bag Blitz
- The Team Leader should arrive early for set-up. If you’re expecting 20 or fewer volunteers, you can use two long tables (for more than 20 volunteers, use four tables). At the head of one table place the gift bags and any donations that you have. On the second table put the ribbons and several pairs of scissors. You will need to have several cardboard boxes ready in which to transport the bags to shelters. Put up “Cheerful Giver” signs in the area.
- About four people should be stationed at the ribbon table. As the bags are filled, they should be placed on the ribbon table where ribbons are tied to close them. Bags are then placed in the cardboard boxes.
- When all bags have been assembled, the team should count and record the number of bags completed. The Team Leader should Record Volunteer Event.
- Team members can take the boxes of bags, and at their convenience drop off the bags at a shelter or food shelf within their community. You are advised to call the shelter or food shelf before bringing bags in case another team has recently delivered bags. If outside of Minnesota, do an online search for shelters or food shelves in your area.
- The Team Leader should thank all the volunteers and remind them of the impact they are having on the lives of children in need and their parents.
- Team leader should record the volunteer event on our web site.
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.